It is again the time of year when the members of the Harrison City Volunteer Fire Department ask for your financial support.
For more than 90 years our dedicated all-volunteer organization has relied upon the support of our neighbors to maintain the necessary equipment, technology, and training required to protect the lives and properties within our community.
Last year our 40 dedicated volunteers responded to 351 incidents in our community including structure fires, fire alarms, vehicle accidents, storm related emergencies, hazardous conditions, and various other emergencies. We leave our families, homes, and jobs to answer emergency calls at all hours of the day and night to protect families and properties in our community. To respond appropriately to every situation, we attend numerous hours of training, maintain our equipment regularly, provide fire prevention programs to our schools and civic groups, and participate in various fundraising efforts.
Our operational budget averages $173,931.00 a year which covers the maintenance of our fire station, fire apparatuses, apparatus loan payments, training costs, fuel, utilities, and new equipment purchases. We rely heavily on the skills of our volunteers to keep our costs as low as possible. We receive approximately 25% of our budgeted funds from Penn Township tax collections. The remaining 75% of our budget comes from donations, fundraisers held at our department, and any grants we obtain. Just as with private individuals, our expenses are constantly increasing, specifically fuel needed for our apparatuses.
We truly appreciate those that have faithfully supported our past fundraising efforts and would like to ask for your continued contributions. Last year only 30% of the homes and businesses in our fire district contributed to our fund drive so we would like to ask those that have not supported our department in the past to reconsider; every little bit helps. It is through your contributions that we provide fire protection services at no charge to you.
As an all-volunteer fire department we are also always in need of dedicated volunteers. The law requires volunteers to be at least 14 years of age. Our Jr. Firefighting Program develops skilled firefighters at a young age, gets the youth involved in the community, and keeps them out of trouble. Older volunteers, at least 18 years old, are provided all the firefighting training and equipment needed to serve our community. Being a volunteer firefighter is a rewarding and valuable way to serve the community.
To learn more about our department or volunteer opportunities, please visit our website, www.hcvfd.org.
As always, any donation you can make is greatly appreciated.
Fund Drive mailers went out this week to all residents of our Fire District. If you did not receive a mailer and would like to donate to our Department please contact us as firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Members of the Harrison City Volunteer Fire Department